July 01, 2010

what an awesome reunion that would be..

Our church sponsors our orphanage through Children's HopeChest... this organization strives to meet the needs of orphans across the globe...

That being said, when you sponsor through Children's HopeChest, you get the opportunity to write to your sponsored child. They have made this process very easy, and all you have to do is go to the HopeChest website. Write

If I am honest with you, I must tell you that I do a horrible job of writing consistently. There are so many kids that I want to communicate with, and usually I get in the trend of writing about 10 letters in 1 day, and then I won't write again for a few months. I have made a commitment to try and be better about this. If I write a few letters a week, I can correspond with all the kids...

Let me tell you -- sometimes, our letters are the ONLY time that these sweet kids hear about who Jesus is besides when our teams are there (and that is maybe once a year)... so I would say this is VERY important...

One of the tendencies I have is to only write again once I get a letter back. And the kids are not good at writing back -- either time constraints, or they don't feel like it that day... they just don't write that often. After talking with some of the Russia staff, I realized that it's really not about whether I get a letter back or not, but it's about these kids knowing that they have someone that cares for them. The discipler for another orphanage said that when she goes, the kids ask her if they received any letters, and it breaks her heart when she has to say no...

Let me tell you a story that one of the HopeChest staff told me... it totally put a new perspective on writing letters to these kids...

There was a sponsor that faithfully wrote her sponsored child once a month for about 3 years... she NEVER got a letter back. As far as she knew, the girl didn't get her letters, or didn't care.... but she wrote. What a faithful woman. The little girl ended up getting adopted to America. Her new family contacted the woman that had sponsored her, and told her that the only thing that the little girl had wanted to bring from Russia was a pile of letters from this woman. Of course, the woman had no idea that they meant this much to this child, but she knew God was calling her to just be faithful.

What a beautiful story... I think it speaks to all of us (not only about writing or sponsoring a child through HopeChest) but about being faithful to what God has called us to... even if it seems like it's not making a difference -- you never know what God is up to!!!

If you are interested in sponsoring or writing a child, please get in touch with me... and if you already do, please write.... write.... write and write some more and write about Jesus!! -- you never know what little heart God is touching through you... even when you don't hear back.... what an awesome reunion that will be in the heavenly Kingdom one day...




No comments:

Post a Comment