July 09, 2010

Abba changes everything...

My dear friend Nicole came by the church office the other day, and wanted to share an article with me that she found in this month's Christianity Today magazine. She obviously knows me very well, because the article is about adoption -- and the church's call to serve the orphan and fatherless. 


Of course, I copied the article, and it has been nicely placed in the back of my notebook since Tuesday. (These are the kids of things I like to be able to sit down and really read... ) So I finally had some time last night -- this article blew me away... Russell D. Moore wrote the article, and he also wrote the book Adopted for Life (which I am now going to borrow from a friend -- I've been meaning to read it for a while but just never had the chance...) 


That being said, this article speaks to the core of who we are as the church... it talks about how the topic of adoption can't be merely a 'theological' statement and way to explain our adoption into the body of Christ, and it cannot be merely a 'mission' statement of how we are to love the fatherless and defend the orphan....


It must be both. Because that is the foundation of our salvation -- it is also the foundation of our call. Are we not to be Christ-like? Are we not to strive to be more like him? How close to His heart is adoption -- because I am an adopted daughter.... I would say very close, and for that I am SO thankful. 


This is not an article telling everyone to go out and adopt a child -- but it does speak of ways that the whole church can get involved.... my best suggestion for you would be to read it, because my little synopsis can't do it justice... Abba Changes Everything 


Please read, and pray about how the Lord would have you be a voice for these sweet children... 

No comments:

Post a Comment