April 25, 2010

trust the Artist...

Have you ever watched an artist paint on a canvas?

I mean a true artist... not one like me who splatters colors about every now and again. I'm the kind of person who says after painting... "ehh..... good enough." Oh no, no... these guys have a wonderful picture in mind before they even begin. Art is not my gift, so it intrigues me to watch artists in their element. They pick up their brush, and most often start painting... nothing to trace... oh no... not great artists... no guidelines or "paint by numbers" for these guys.... they just paint...

So free. So beautiful. Such creativity pouring out of their soul.
It's a beautiful thing to watch.

Lately, it seems my life has been a blank canvas... Me, being no artist, I want to have everything sketched out before the painting even begins. I want to know which colors go where, which way is up, what is my setting? My audience? Most of all, what will my final product... my final painting look like?

God has so reminded me lately that HE is the ultimate artist... check out this verse...

The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. - Psalm 19:1

And take a look at a little of His workmanship... these are just a few pictures I've taken recently... (I'm kind of obsessed with sunsets!!!)





I can just imagine God with a blank canvas setting these beautiful sunsets into motion... some deep blue, a splash of orange, and a few rays of light peeking through the clouds to remind us of how great the Creator of the Universe is...

Man, if our God paints the skies with such purpose, how much more does He paint the canvas of our lives?

When we look at our life, or a certain circumstance... we may see a "blank canvas"... we may see colors scattered about here and there, and we definitely don't see what the final picture will look like, but that's because WE aren't the artist. I forget this so many times... God looks at the canvas of our life, and even of our circumstances, ands sees a beautiful picture... He has the final masterpiece in mind, He knows how it's supposed to turn out... He knows which strokes to paint, and when. He doesn't erase, and He doesn't look upon these canvases as "ordinary". And, just when it seems like the painting may turn into a jumbled mess, He finishes the picture, and it is simply breathtaking. He paints each one uniquely, and with a specific purpose... and He beckons us to trust His artistry. He beckons us to trust that He is a much greater artist, and that the masterpieces He can paint only pale in comparison to the ones that we may be able to sketch out for ourselves.

So I encourage you, next time you look at a sunset, remember that God is the ultimate artist, and that He wants to paint something beautiful for your life... yes, it may look completely different than anything you ever tried painting for yourself... And while you're waiting for the completed painting, it may seem like it's not going to fit together... when you finally see the 'big picture' of whatever circumstance you're in, it will be way more beautiful and breathtaking than we could imagine...

Sit back, watch God make each brushstroke, and know that He is creating a beautiful masterpiece in you...

No comments:

Post a Comment