April 19, 2010

the new direction

We have gotten some news on our upcoming trip to Russia, in June. Originally, we were hoping to visit our orphanage, and stay there for the duration of the trip. However, because of some recent events and government restrictions, we will not be able to go to our orphanage.

I think the thing I was having the most trouble with all of this is that it completely breaks my heart. It really does. Our team was SO looking forward to getting to see our kids, and spend some time with them. BUT I know who is in control. I was really struggling with the two... and I realized...

its ok. I can be both.

I can be completely heart broken over the situation. It means that God has broken my heart for these kids, and that He has given me a passion to love them. BUT I can also hope because ultimately, HE is the one who is in control.

__________________________________________


the new direction

Even though we did not get clearance to go to the orphanage, we still got permission to visit Ryazan and stay in the city.

In the city, Children's HopeChest sponsors a Ministry Center. This MC is a place where teens who graduate the orphanage can go to find refuge. They can watch TV, work on school work with the computers there, get dental assistance, counseling, etc. A majority of the kids who graduate orphanages are about 16 years old. I imagine myself at 16... being out in the city by myself, being faced with major life decisions.... ones that even now, being 23 I still haven't had to face.

The kids live in government housing... the statistics for girls to be sexually abused, raped, etc in the first few weeks of living there are through the roof. A lot of girls from orphanages that graduate end up in prostitution, or sex slavery. Just last week we heard a story from Children's HopeChest about a girl that started coming to their Ministry Center after being rescued from forced prostitution. Many of the boys fall into alcoholism, drugs, and even work for the mafia.

By any means, these teens have many hard decisions to make, and they need hope. A hope that we can bring them.

So... that is what we will be doing this summer. We're going to be working at the MC in Ryazan. We'll be hanging out with kids that have graduated from our orphanage, and hopefully meeting some new faces! We are so excited to get to spend time with these precious teens. Please be praying for our team as we continue to seek direction. Also, be praying for the kids we will come in contact with while we are there. We're also hoping to get to spend some time with some local churches, and encourage and fellowship with them!

We are still praying that we will be able to see the kids at our orphanage...

More updates to come!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Charlie
    My name is Suni from Spain and I would like to contact you.My daughter is from an orphanage in Solotcha and I wonder if is the same(I remember the principal's name Marina).We live in Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great! I am not sure! What is your daughter's name? When did you adopt her?

    ReplyDelete